What a way to end the year for the revamped club, a true celebration of everything we have achieved as a group, an opportunity to meet new people and a chance for us all to relax just before the busy festive period.
Firstly, I think we need to thank the Cropwell Bishop Singers for joining us on the evening and singing some of everybody’s favourite festive songs. I for one really enjoyed having them their and hopefully this can be a new tradition going forward for us.
As for the food, well what can I say, you outdid yourselves. I think we need to thank you all for your efforts, and we were amazed at all the home made treats that were brought in. One thing about gardeners, I suppose they learn to cook with their bounty. I think we all left with a full stomach.
I hope you all enjoyed our quiz, and our winners now hold on to the trophy until next year. We realise we did not let you see the right answers due to our busy agenda, so here they are:
- What is the popular name for the flowering houseplant Impatiens Walleriana? Busy Lizzie
- What would a gardener do with a dibber or dibble? Dranspant seedlings or small plants
- Charles Darwin described this carnivorous plant the most wonderful plant in the world. What is the name of the plant? Venus Flytrap
- The love apple is the original name for what? Tomato
- The Death Cap is the most poisonous variety of what? Mushroom
- What is the name given to the female reproductive organs of a flower? Pistil
- A Kumquat is a small Japanese variety of what sort of fruit? Orange
- Why is Reindeer Moss so called? Staple Winter food for Reindeers
- Harry Wheatcroft was a renowned breeder of what? Roses
- What is the name of the three leafed clover associatefd with St Patrick’s Day? Shamrock
- Which part of a tree can be used to make cork? Bark
- What is the largest and tallest tree in the world? California Redwood
- What general term is given to those trees whose leaves fall off in the Autumn? Deciduous
- Which tissue beneath the bark of trees forms wood? Xylem
- Where in the flowering plant does the male gamete from? In the pollen grain
- Which cereal must be grown in water? Rice
- Which grain is used to make semolina? Wheat
- Which part of a flower becomes the fruit? Ovary
- Which part of a flowering plant is often used to make oil? Seed
- What is the name given to the technique of clipping trees and hedges into ornamental shapes? Topiary
- What is another name for the Rowan Tree? Mountain Ash
- What flower is named after the Botanist Robert Fuchs? Fuscia
- What do Yew, Laburnum seeds and Mistletoe have in common? Poisonous
- What is the popular name for the Antirrhinum? Snapdragon
- What is the sacred flower of the Buddhist religion? Lotus
- Which plant takes it’s name from the Italian phrase for beautiful women? Belladonna
- Trees that shed their leaves every year are called what? Perrenial
Lastly, the raffle, thank you all again for your donation of prizes, and willingness to buy tickets. The raffle really does go a long way in supporting the gatherings, especially ones like the Christmas party. We do solely rely on donations for the raffle so please keep them coming in the new year, and then all money raised can be put back in to future meetings.
A quick reminder for our next meeting for the 21st January on the Barn Owl Project. 7:30 at The Old School.
Also you can still get tickets from Pen 2 Paper for Matthew Wilsons event at the Grange in Radcliffe on the 31st January.
Have a very merry christmas all.